Sometimes you just aren't sure of what to do next. Your first draft is done, but you are nervous about passing it on to a reader or editor or even a family member. Janice Hardy's Ficton University has a multi-step process that will help you get the most out of your novel so that you can move on with confidence.
At-Home Workshop: Revise Your Novel in 31 Days
Don't let the name on the link scare you off. No one is timing you.
Take as long as you need. Writing isn't a race, although sometimes it may feel like that. The goal is to reach the end and this process is a decent road map to get you started.
Here are the first five steps:
- Day One: Analyze the Story Structure
- Day Two: Analyze the Character Arcs
- Day Three: Analyze the Scene Structure
- Day Four: Clarify the Goals and Motivations
- Day Five: Clarify the Conflict and Tension